Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What the heck is up with Twitter?

I am not sure if this should be a blog post, an open discussion on the forum, or a discussion in a twitter group, but here goes…

What the heck is twitter for? Obviously I am missing something here. Everyone I have chosen to follow is someone that I want to hear what they have to say. Most of them are because I believe I can learn something from them. Heck, one of them tweeted something about her wholesale program and her products are something I have been looking for to add to my site, so I am gathering an order together and working out ideas for labeling.

And then there are the few that I am ready to unfollow. Sadly, one of them is/was a good friend. Her tweets have gone from what her kids had for lunch (PB&J most days) to blatant advertising. She is a friend on Facebook too, and sends her tweets both places. In a 3 hour period there were 17 friend updates on my Facebook wall… 11 of them were blatant ads by this one person. She claims that she enjoys the conversations with all 1000 of her Twitter followers, but I wonder how many of those followers are enjoying them. And to top it off, it seems as though Twitter is a competition to her. She found some lists of the top people to follow that will follow you back, to grow your follower list – and followed each and every one of them. How many of her followers are truly interested in what she has to say, and how many are just gathering followers themselves, I have to wonder.

One of the others I am tempted to unfollow seems to have a schedule of tweets, and every day it is the same thing. I don’t mean “good morning” and such, I mean EXACTLY the same tweet, in exactly the same order, every day. Since that person is a motivator, and the morning reminders that the one thing that makes today different is that I am creating it as I go are nice… so far. But that is because I have only been following them for 3 days.

So seriously, what is the point of Twitter? It started out as a way to keep friends updated, and now it looks like a competition to have the most followers, whether they listen to what you are saying or not. And it seems highly egotistical to think that the whole world (or 1000 followers) is hanging on your every word/ad.

Please, don’t follow me on Twitter, unless you like what I have to say or want to interact with me. And certainly don’t follow me if you want to collect followers or sell me something.

Still want to follow me - @momsonlinemall

No comments:

Post a Comment